My Photo
Name:
Location: Newark, Delaware, United States

I'm just like you, only worse.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

I've often wondered what motivates people to write a web log, or any kind of log for that matter. Is it a need to express one's opinion on lofty or trivial matters, or is it rather the impulse to communicate one's deep or shallow thoughts to the world at large? Whatever the case, writing is about the expression of ideas, and unfortunately most ideas, like most opinons, are not really worth the time it takes to record them. So what is the worth of most blogs? Unfortunately, next to nothing.

This blog is no different. Yes, I have joined the ranks of the proud egomaniacs who think their pointless ramblings should be displayed on the web and inflicted on the world at large. Why? Because I'm no different than you or your brother or your grandmother or your crazy cousin Pancho who thinks what they have to say really matters. If it really mattered, we'd be published in a respectable magazine like Time or Newsweek or Playboy or People. Unfortunately, we have so little of worth to say we need to publish in a free forum that no one cares about and fewer people actually read. We can't do what we really want to do, so we blog. I've just used blog as a verb. See, I'm as ridiculous as you.

I don't talk much, and that's because I know people in general don't give three shakes of a rat's tale about what I have to say. My brain works a little differently than most. I care very little about sports or politics or how to fix cars or build birdcages or cook turkeys. I'd rather think about music or comic books or that great fantasy novel I just read. Or sex. Sex always works. But then again, that doesn't prove my point that my brain is different, because everyone thinks about sex ALL THE TIME. Don't lie. You know you do.

Anyway, this blog will serve a few purposes. First and foremost, it will allow me to discuss anything I care about at the moment. I may review a movie, a book, or a comic. I might tell you about a concert I saw or a performance my band just played. I might give you a little sample of my fiction, or an exerpt from my published work, The Talisman of Faerie. Or I might ramble on about the miserable state of the world or why stupid people are happier.

I just finished re-reading George RR Martin's A Game of Thrones, and in my next post I'll talk further on that. What a masterpiece! I'll try not to gush as I write my review, but no promises.

Until next time,
JNB

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home